Dr Maggie Watts
Title of Presentation/poster: Raising awareness of Lyme disease in the Western Isles
- Rising public concern about Lyme disease
- Higher than national incidence of erythem migrans and positive Borrelia serology.
- Worked with local stakeholders to develop suite of materials, public and professional information events
- Covered prevalence of disease, distribution and lifecycle of ticks and Borrelia spirochaetes, and measures to reduce risk of contracting Lyme disease.
- Well attended education sessions
- Distribution of tick removal tools and materials to all schools and nurseries
- National interest generated
- Awareness campaign developed and implemented
- Rolled out widely
- Engagement with Health Protection Scotland for further work locally.
Title of Presentation/poster: ‘The Giant Inflatable Colon tour of the Western Isles.’
- Inform and empower people to talk about bowel cancer
- Introduce the new bowel screening test
Events hosted in four locations across the Western Isles, enabling access for wide attendance.
The Giant Inflatable Colon was the focal point, a walk-through large scale replica of the human colon, used to educate about a range of diseases that affect the colon.
Posters created using photographs taken of local people framed in a ‘golden toilet seat’.
Related health issues were also discussed such as alcohol, tobacco and diet.
Positive evaluation with increased commitment to undertake bowel screening test.